Sunday, July 23, 2017

My Radical Self-Care Epiphany



I've had one of those a-ha moments.  Well, one moment is not really accurate, because this has been brewing for quite some time.

I had rotator cuff surgery three months ago due to an injury about a year ago.  I thought with this surgery I'd be in and out and on my way.  Honestly, it was outpatient arthroscopic surgery.  Piece of cake, right?

Wrong!  In fact, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Three months later and I'm just now working on strengthening my rotator cuff muscles in physical therapy after working the last eight weeks on increasing my range of motion.

I'm really not complaining.  (Well, maybe a little.)  I share this with you as a preamble to why I've decided to make some radical changes in my life.  This was rotator cuff surgery.  It wasn't cancer.  It wasn't heart disease.  But it did send me into a bit of a depression as I worked through my recovery, realizing my limitations - some due to the surgery, some due to the shape my body and spirit were in.

Fast forward 12 weeks to the aforementioned a-ha moment (that was really more of a year-long agonizing process to get to.  But I digress.)

At this point, I said to myself, "Okay, that was hard.  Let's try to avoid going through that, or anything remotely resembling that, ever again."

So, here I am.  Reconnoitering my approach to life.  Moving my body and filling it with healthy, good -for-me foods.  Reading awesome books to improve my mind.  Journaling and starting a meditation practice to nurture my spirit.  Reaching out to old friends and bridging those relationships.  Being gentle when I need it, but kicking myself in the ass when I need that, too.  All the while reminding myself that these changes will take time to incorporate, and even more time to become habit.  So, self, don't waste another minute!

This is my Radical Self-Care plan.

Let's do this.

2 comments:

Anne D said...

Best wishes! I look forward to reading about your journey, and maybe it'll motivate me to make some positive changes too.

Tammy Gilley said...

Hey, thanks Anne! Nice to see you're still around here. Hope you're doing well. I hope you'll find some inspiration here, and I hope you'll cheer me on as well. Lots to do, but very excited. Chat soon.